Today, the South African Ministry of Police presented the 2017/2018 crime statistics to the Portfolio Committee on Police in Parliament. The picture paints a grim picture of the state of criminal activity in South Africa.
You can read more about it on News 24 live feed
Some of the key statistics that have been cited include the following:
- The murder of women is up by 11% with 2930 murders compared to 2639 murders in 2016/2017;
- The murder of women and children has increased. 291 more women, 117 more boys and 29 more girls were killed.
- South Africa has the biggest annual per capital increase in murders since 1994.
- On average, 57 people are murdered in South Africa every day.
- 40 035 rape cases were reported during the 2017/2018 period, which is up from 39 828 during the previous year.
- The murder rate in Mpumalanga and the Northern Cape has gone down, but it has increased in all other provinces.
- Seven of the top 10 police stations for murder cases are in the Western Cape.
- There were 62 farm murders in 2017/2018. The majority of those killed were farm owners.
Police Minister Bheki Cele has described South Africa’s murder rate as ‘scary’, saying it borders on a war zone. On social media, citizens have called for crime figures to be released more regularly and not only once a year. This, says one Twitter user, will help communities to see trends and act/mobilise their crime prevention initiatives accordingly.
RSS Security is a security company in Fourways that offers a variety of residential and corporate security services. Contact us today and we will personally come out to meet you and discuss your security needs in Fourways.