Smash Grab Safety Tips
Whether your vehicle is moving or stationary, bear the following in mind:
- Don’t leave cell phones, bags, briefcases or other valuables where they are visible in the car.
- Lock valuable items in the boot of your car or behind the seat if you drive a bakkie or pick-up truck.
- Lock all doors and close all windows.
- Be especially cautious in stationary or slow moving traffic.
- Be constantly on the lookout for suspicious-looking characters. Do not hesitate to report them to the police.
- Slow down when approaching red traffic lights at night and try to reach them only as they turn green.
- Be wary of people standing at traffic lights or intersections.
- Never open your window or door for any stranger.
- If you encounter rocks, tyres or other obstacles in the road do not get out of your vehicle to remove them.
- Reverse and drive in the opposite direction if necessary.
- Always park your car in attended parking lots.
- Always park in well lit areas at night.
- Never sit in your vehicle without being conscious of your surroundings.
- Never sleep in a stationary vehicle.
- Always remove radios, CD or cassette players if possible.
- Never leave children alone in a vehicle.